Saturday, July 12, 2014

Thing 23 - Evaluation :)

I am trying hard to collect my thoughts because I really let this course span a lot of time.  But, yes, my thoughts and ideas about mobile devices have changed significantly during this period.  I didn't have an iPad when I started and didn't think for a minute that I could do so much of this on my phone.  I now own an iPad and have significantly more apps on my little iPhone!  Since I work in St. Paul Public Schools, the timing of my "enlightenment" is spot on.  Even though my school's new iPads are scheduled to arrive in the fall, I purposely chose to purchase my own.  I'm even on a path to selling a fairly new Macbook!

I have several favorites that I discovered over the months, thanks to The 23 Things.  In general, I would have to say that I liked the latter options better.  They were like dessert.  I am happy to even have learned how to blog!  Once again, it reaffirmed for me what good teaching consists of, and that is that it should be hands on.  I liked delving a little deeper into social media, presentations, video - performance apps, if I may call them that.

I didn't actually connect with others too much while doing The 23 Things.  There were a few people I know who were doing the course, too, and we talked a bit.  I did look at some of the others' blogs, but not too often.  Mostly that was because I didn't have the time to but would have liked to.

One of the biggest surprises for me was how much I like my iPad.  I was actually given one for a gift the first year they were available, and after a bit of use, I returned it.  That seems to amaze a lot of people.  Last night I was with a friend, and I asked if she owned an iPad.  Her response was that they have two in their home, and no one uses them!  Reminds me of the quote about putting a computer under a kid's pillow and expecting her to learn from it.  My friend and her family need The 23 Things.

I'm not sure that I have any suggestions for improvement.  I liked the course a lot.  Making sure that all links are up to date is important.  I can't imagine how tricky it must be to keep everything, even content, current in such a constantly changing realm.

I would take another The 23 Things program like this again in a heartbeat.  I learned so much!

Handing me an iPad without The 23 Things is like putting a 15-year-old behind the wheel of a stick shift and saying, "Take it for a spin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment