Friday, July 11, 2014

Things 22 and 21, (like reading the end of a book first . . . )

I took the "Free-for-all" advice in Thing 21 and looked ahead to Thing 22's advice for finding new apps, so I'm combining my blog post for both of them. 

I already use Apps Gone Free on my iPhone and am happy when I remember to check it.  Today I added it to my iPad and noticed some new features, at least on the iPad!  I like the "bumping" feature to notify friends of cool freebies.  Am also impressed by the Global addition.  What a small planet we live on today!  I downloaded "Convertible" because it is free today and will likely pass that on (oops - bump) to my science geeky spouse and possibly a teacher or two.

But what I am really happy to learn about is Quixey!  Sources of apps for me so far have been limited to iTunes searches (not so fun and certainly not speedy) and referrals from friends and colleagues.  But now I have my own source!  The new app I found using Quixey is Trip Advisors offline, downloadable city guides.  I also discovered the Concerts app by BlueHaze.  I like how you can go to the Quixey website, type in your search term, and then readily compare all options before blindly downloading.  When searching for a guide to local music, I chose the BlueHaze app because I was able to quickly read reviews of the others that Quixey pulled up.

Also, I recently attended a two-day iPad Institute put on by Minnetonka Public Schools, and it was phenomenal for being turned on to new apps.  I guess that's a public service announcement for Minnetonka!





No comments:

Post a Comment